Moratorium on Evictions Extended to December 31; Resources Available
The moratorium applies to people with incomes less than $99,000 or $198,000 if married and filing jointly who are unable to pay rent due to income loss or extraordinary out of pocket medical expenses and would become homeless if evicted. Tenants facing eviction need to present a declaration to their landlord.
There are are numerous federal, state, and local government resources available, if you are having trouble making rent payments because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Fairfax City residents may use many services provided by Fairfax County, including the resources below that may be helpful during this time.
Resources Available to City Residents
- (CSP) – Residents in need of assistance with rent, housing or food may call 703-222-0880 (hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, excluding holidays).
- (DFS) offers assistance with and .
- Evictions for nonpayment of rent, and charges/fees for nonpayment of rent, have been suspended. This applies to former Public Housing and Section 8 residents living in properties owned and operated by FCRHA.
- All income re-certifications and interim re-certifications will continue to be processed as quickly as possible; however, clients may experience some delays depending on staffing availability. Priority will be given to families experiencing a loss of income due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Additional Resources for Residents
- The National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC) and the National Housing Law Project (NHLP) prepared an Overview of National Eviction Moratorium, Frequently Asked Questions documents in English and Spanish and translations of the CDC declaration in: Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Somali, Spanish and Vietnamese.
- Stay Home Virginia: Resources for Renters.
- Virginia Poverty Law Center: Eviction Helpline 833-NOEVICT (833-663-8428) in English and Spanish.
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia: LSNV offers legal assistance in Housing Law. Apply here.
- Your Rights as a Tenant During the COVID-19 Outbreak.