Why You Should Choose Organic Foods
Organic food. Why? It’s better. Here’s a quick list of Five reasons why you should make it a point to consume organic whenever possible.
1.) No GMO Ingredients
Genetically modified organisms, including GM foods, are a horrible mutation of real food. The claim that GMOs are just like any other method of improving foods is simply nonsense. Never before have genetics been manipulated by taking the genes from one species and inserting them into another.
Animal genes are spliced into plants, and plant genes into animals, something that cannot happen in nature. The claims that GMOs and breeding are virtually identical and safe are clearly nonsense, with studies like the one done by Gilles-Eric Séralini showing that rats fed a diet of Roundup-Ready GM corn developed massive tumors and died younger. 
Organic foods are the only foods that people in America can be reasonably sure are GMO-free.
2.) Better Nutrient Profile
Conventionally grown “food” is produced in depleted soil under the delusion that all the nutrients you require can be replaced by artificially-produced fertilizers. The fact is that study after study has proven that organic food is more nutritious. By the way, more nutritious food usually tastes better, too.
Here are some nutrient facts reported by Organic.org: 
- One study showed that organic fruits and veggies contain 27% more vitamin C, 21.1% more iron, 29.3% more magnesium, 13.6% more phosphorus, and 18% more polyphenols.
- Salicylic acid is an important and health-promoting substance. Researchers have found that there is an average of 600% more salicylic acid in organic soups, and that organic carrot and coriander soup contains 1,040 nanograms of it, compared with only 20 nanograms in typical non-organic soups!
- Organic meats are less fatty, and the fats are healthier.
- The only US beef that has been free of the fatal prion brain disease, Creutzfeldt-Jakob, is organic.
- The science is clear: organic food is more nutritious.
3.) No Harmful Pesticides or Herbicides
Nearly all pesticides function by harming the nervous system. So, if you eat foods that were grown by agribusiness, you are eating neurotoxins and gradually poisoning your nervous system. 
The way to avoid these poisons is to eat only organic foods.
4.) Higher Quality Meat and Dairy
When you see studies claiming that meat is bad for you, take note that they never distinguish between organic husbandry and the stuff that comes from concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). It’s loaded with antibiotics and other drugs, and it is, frankly, dirty. If you eat meat that comes from such places, you’re not helping your health. 
If you’re going to eat meat, eat only organic and free range meats.
5.) Less Chance of Food-Borne Illness
The news media keeps reporting about massive outbreaks of food-borne illness. Cabbage. Eggs. Fast food restaurants. Spinach. Melons. Peanut butter. The list goes on and on. The more our foods are produced by agribusiness, the more such outbreaks happen.
What the news media fails to report is that virtually every one of these outbreaks is a direct result of agribusiness. In fact, they were the first source. E. coli was not even considered an infectious bacterium until around 1983. The E. coli that causes deadly infections is a mutant caused by CAFOs. 
The best way to be safe from food-borne illness is to choose organic foods.
- Gilles-Eric Séralini, Emilie Clair, Robin Mesnage, Steeve Gress, Nicolas Defarge, Manuela Malatesta, Didier Hennequin, Joël Spiroux de Vendômois. Long term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize. Food and Chemical Toxicology. August 2, 2012. doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2012.08.005.
- Steve Meyerowitz. Are Organic Foods More Nutritious? (Last accessed 2013-09-29)
- Charlotte Gerber. How Do Pesticides Kill Bugs? (Last accessed 2013-09-29)
- Union of Concerned Scientists. CAFO’s Uncovered. 2008. (Last accessed 2013-09-29)
- Heidi Stevenson. Virulent E. coli: A Gift from Agribusiness. June 18, 2013. (Last accessed 2013-09-29)